Business Communication for Tech Nerds
Have you ever answered the “what does your product do?” question with something that ended in “it’s really hard to explain”? In Made to Stick, communication researchers Chip and Dan Heath report that this is the curse of knowledge at work: the more you know, the harder it is to explain.
People in the tech industry are absolutely brilliant. They understand and work with complicated ideas that are making our world a better place. But what happens when you have to communicate those ideas to an investor, potential co-founder, or someone on the street?
Whether it’s the fear of speaking in front of people, the inability to present an idea with limited preparation, the struggle of explaining complicated concepts to someone outside your field, or the general lack of experience, we think communication has become more of an enemy than an ally for many people. Stop by this workshop to help overcome this reality.
Level up your communication skills and get ready to rock your next pitch.
Bring an upcoming presentation or concept that you want to communicate and walk away with:
1. The best techniques for preparing your presentation (proven by 2,500 years of practice from Aristotle to the latest research)
2. Overcoming the fear of speaking in front of people (whether 3 or 3,000+)
3. Understanding and overcoming the curse of knowledge (communicating complicated ideas to people outside of your field)
4. How to be adaptive to different speaking mediums (from the boardroom to the stage to a coffeeshop)
5. Always being prepared even with no preparation (practical tips from an impromptu national champion speaker)
Communication should never be the thing that gets in the way of reaching your dreams.