THE CENTER OF GRAVITY FOR ENTREPRENEURS IN TEXAS
Leadership through Visibility Workshop
RSVP FOR THIS EVENT | $1200
Writing or speaking about your work can boost your career as a tech leader—making you better connected, better paid, and more respected. It can also inspire innovation in your company, and even spur the entire field forward. But necessary voices are still missing from our industry’s stages, bookshelves, meetups, blogs, and conference tables—because being visible can feel scary: Are my ideas unique? Will I be taken seriously? Where do I even start? Breathe. We can help you get past all that. We’re Katel LeDû, CEO of indie tech publishing company A Book Apart, and Sara Wachter-Boettcher, a three-time author and keynote speaker, and we’re here to share the knowledge, tools, and feedback you need to confidently express your ideas in a way that’s authentic to you and memorable for others, both at work and in your community.
In this workshop, we’ll break down how other tech leaders have communicated their expertise in memorable, credible ways—and walk you through a process that will help you own your unique perspective and kickstart anything from writing an article or contributing to your company blog to getting onstage or even writing a book. Over the course of the day, you will:
– Uncover your core perspective and expertise, and build confidence communicating them to others
– Decide who you want to reach, and how and where you’ll reach them
– Turn your ideas into a pitch for a talk, article, book, workshop, or internal company project that commands attention and resonates with your audience
– Learn how to develop an outline for your project and create an action plan for bringing it to the world (or just to your next all-hands)
– Get feedback on each stage of your work from us and your peers
– When they’re not leading workshops or running their other businesses, Sara and Katel host Strong Feelings, a weekly podcast about living your best feminist life at work. They’re based in Philadelphia.
About Katel Ledû
Katel LeDû has worked at the intersection of tech and editorial for more than 15 years. She is currently the CEO of A Book Apart, where she helps passionate tech community members become successful authors. Her role spans all aspects of operations and editorial, including setting acquisitions strategy, evaluating proposals, and overseeing editorial work. She also works regularly with authors, coaching them through each stage of the process—from initial ideas through finished work. Previously, she worked with National Geographic as their digital director of photography.
About Sara Wachter-Boettcher
Sara Wachter-Boettcher is the principal of Rare Union, a keynote speaker, and the author of three tech/design books: Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech from W.W. Norton, Design for Real Life (with Eric Meyer) from A Book Apart, and Content Everywhere from Rosenfeld Media. From 2012 to 2015, she was also the editor-in-chief of A List Apart, where she set editorial direction, led a team of editors, and worked with authors to publish hundreds of web design and development articles. Her work has been featured in The Washington Post, Slate, The Guardian, and more, and she’s spoken at dozens of events across four continents, including SXSW, Drupalcon, UX Week, Confab, Web Directions, and An Event Apart.
By Appointment Only
Our doors are open! Reach out to Members@CapitalFactory.com to book your private, in-person membership tour.